06 August 2008

Baffled by the Purge, But More Baffled by the Purged

Regarding the 'purging' of Florida delegates...I'm baffled any candidate would reach down into duly chosen pools of individuals--selected through a long and careful process (from precinct to county to state) to honorably represent their neighbors—and arbitrarily replace them.

I'm baffled by the response of the replacements, complicit in the affair by their acceptance of the slots.

But I'm most baffled by the reaction of the replaced. I have to ask myself, would I still support a candidate that had so misused me? One who took my patient climb through the precinct and county and state conventions, faithful to the candidate I'd chosen—and summarily disposed of it?

I think I'd be knocking on the doors of 18 Million Voices, Just Say No Deal, PUMA, the Denver Group, Blue Lyon, Fiery Side....

3 comments:

cls said...

Yeah, the response of the deposed left me shaking my head too. It's like the ballplayer that gets traded from a team and a city he loves with nothing more than a shrug. I've never understood that either. I guess that's what's called being a 'team player.' I just never saw politics, where people's lives literally hang in the balance as a 'game.'

BlueLyon

paulrevere said...

So the question becomes, just how deeply into the vested interest is it necessary to 'git' before one can really affect change?

It is these constant but tiny increments of acquiessence (there's that word... AGAIN) that get me lost in the grey area of give a little, get a little. I know that works at the individual to individual level because there remains the constant monitor of observation and continuity by the parties concerned...but once the crowd gets larger, institutional knowledge gets lost due to the many convolutions of the tides of human nature and continuity becomes that which the proverbial 'he who owns the gold makes the rules' dictates. And the 'gold' takes many forms...not just heavy metal.
The conundrum marches on...

Doubt Nothing...Question Everything

Cathylee said...

Thank you for your post, Paul Revere. See a post to come for an answer to it--your comment gave me pause to think and some things fell into place. I appreciate the nudge.